Cultural relic of British rule are the bands of wind musical instruments. From its inception until today Philharmonics are associated with the celebration of religious and national events. With undiminished passion offer free music education to residents of Corfu. The philharmonic bands in Corfu resounding present within and abroad with continuous successful performances, contributing to the spread of cultural elements of our country.
The Philharmonic Society of Corfu " Old " was founded in 1840 . Been uniform with dark blue and burgundy. The reason for its establishment was the decision of the British Administration to cease English military band to accompany the processions of St. Spyridon, the patron saint of the island. Nicholas Halikiopoulos Mantzaros, composer of our National Anthem, was the teacher in the Philharmonic. (www.fek.gr)
The Philharmonic Society of Corfu "Mantzaros" was founded in 1890. Been blue outfit with white. Their first appearance was in Protokyriako (first Sunday) of November in the year 1890 in the Litany of St. Spyridon. (www.femantzaros.gr)
The Philharmonic Association Corfu "Kapodistrias" was founded in 1980. Been red outfit with black. Philharmonic taught divine art of music. The first performance took place on New Year's Day 1981.
The Philharmonic Kontokali founded in 1994. First appeared in 1995 in the Epitaph Procession of the Holy Trinity Church in Kontokali. Regional function and other philharmonics such as the Philharmonic Gastouriou "Omonia" founded 1898, Philharmonic of Skripero, the Philharmonic of Korakiana "Samara", the Philharmonic of Ag.Matthaios, the Philharmonic of Kynopiastes, the Philharmonic of Sinarades founded in 1960 etc.